Tuesday, April 18, 2006
Inspiring Excellence: Great Teachers, Great Principals
This episode showcases award-winning educators and schools; explores how effective teaching is at the core of America’s long-term economic competitiveness; highlights alternative strategies to recruit, train, and reward effective teachers and principals; and reveals how innovative programs are strengthening our nation’s teachers, schools, and students. It addresses questions such as:
- What does “effective teaching” mean and what is the Department doing to promote it?
- What is a “highly qualified” teacher and why are teachers so important to student achievement?
- What can we do to better recruit, train, and reward teachers, especially those in critical subjects like math and science?
- What programs does the Department of Education offer to help improve teaching and learning?
- What is an “instructional leader”? How can we develop and sustain good principals?
- How can parents ensure that a high-quality teacher teaches their child? What questions should they ask of their teachers and school administrators to ensure effective teaching?