Tuesday, June 20, 2006
Child Health and Nutrition
This episode focuses on the issue of childhood obesity, nutrition, and health and the best ways to help students make good choices when it comes to food and exercise. The program explores the ways in which state and federal agencies are working with schools and families to promote healthy, active lifestyles in students. It addresses questions such as:
- How healthy are the nation’s youth? What is the federal government doing to support schools and families in promoting healthy habits in children?
- What does the research say about the link between nutrition, fitness and learning?
- What are the current federal nutritional guidelines and policies—including the new food pyramid—and how do these help schools and parents to keep children healthy, fit and successful?
- How can parents encourage a lifelong commitment to health and fitness in their children?
- How can they ensure that their children eat right and stay active during the summer?